Nigerian Military Denies Terrorist Base in South-West After Oyo School Abductions
The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has dismissed claims that terrorist groups have established a permanent stronghold in the country’s South-West region, following the abduction of dozens of schoolchildren and staff in Oyo State.
Defence spokesperson Michael Onoja confirmed on Wednesday that security forces are actively pursuing the kidnappers, describing the attack as an isolated criminal act rather than evidence of a growing insurgency.
Attack Sparks National Outrage
Gunmen stormed two schools in Oriire Local Government Area earlier this week, seizing at least 45 pupils and teachers before retreating into the dense forest of Old Oyo National Park. Tragically, one teacher was killed during the raid.
Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has expressed willingness to negotiate with the abductors, while the military insists on a tactical rescue operation. The incident has reignited fears among Nigerians, with many questioning whether extremist groups are expanding their reach beyond the North.
Military Assures Public, Launches Manhunt
In a statement, Chief of Defence Staff Olufemi Oluyede extended condolences to the victims’ families and vowed that troops would secure the hostages’ release. Defence Headquarters emphasized that recent intelligence does not support claims of a terrorist foothold in the South-West.
“This was a despicable but isolated act,” said Onoja. “Our forces have already engaged the criminals and are intensifying search operations across forest corridors.”
The military has conducted previous clearance operations in Old Oyo National Park, dismantling criminal hideouts. Authorities urge residents to remain calm and assist security agencies with credible information.
Joint Operations Underway
A multi-agency effort involving the army, police, and local vigilantes is scouring remote areas for the abducted victims. Troops reportedly made initial contact with the kidnappers but have yet to secure a breakthrough.
Onoja warned against spreading panic, stressing that exaggerated reports could embolden criminals. “Public cooperation is vital,” he said. “We are leveraging community intelligence to expedite a safe rescue.”
Broader Security Concerns
While the military maintains that the South-West remains largely secure, the brazen attack has raised alarms about Nigeria’s worsening kidnapping crisis. Criminal gangs and armed groups frequently target schools, highways, and rural communities for ransom.
Analysts say the government must strengthen security in vulnerable regions to prevent further abductions. Meanwhile, families of the victims anxiously await news of their loved ones as operations continue.
— Reported by Nexio News
