Headline: COREN Launches Probe Into Abuja Building Collapse, Vows to Hold Culprits Accountable
Article:
The Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) has initiated a comprehensive investigation into the recent building collapse in Abuja’s Gaduwa District, promising to hold accountable any individuals or organizations found responsible for the incident.
The tragic collapse has raised serious concerns about safety standards and professional accountability in Nigeria’s construction sector. Speaking at a meeting with media representatives and stakeholders in Durumi 3, near Gudu Market, COREN’s Registrar, Prof. Okorie Uche, announced the formation of a panel tasked with uncovering the immediate and underlying causes of the disaster.
The investigation, expected to begin within the next two weeks, will scrutinize all parties linked to the project, including developers, engineers, and contractors. “We are determined to take appropriate regulatory action against anyone found culpable,” Uche stated.
Preliminary findings have already revealed alarming discrepancies. According to Uche, the engineer initially associated with the project is not the individual responsible for the construction. The person whose name appeared on the site’s signage had previously worked with the company on a separate project, but his credentials were allegedly transferred to the collapsed building without authorization.
Uche emphasized that while the individual is an engineering personnel, he is not a registered engineer legally qualified to act as a consultant. “The engineering profession has four cadres—engineers, technologists, technicians, and craftsmen—but only registered engineers can legally serve as consultants on such projects,” he explained.
Further complicating the matter, COREN discovered that the engineering registration number displayed on the project belonged to a different individual, identified as an engineering technologist. Both individuals have been summoned to provide clarification.
The alleged consultant claims to have withdrawn from the project as of May 1, but COREN remains skeptical. “We will thoroughly examine all evidence and statements during the investigation,” Uche assured.
He also criticized developers for deliberately circumventing professional protocols, often hiring unqualified personnel and neglecting safety standards. “Some developers are cutting corners with public safety, and this has led to avoidable tragedies,” he lamented.
The collapse has also shed light on the widespread use of substandard building materials in Nigeria. Uche revealed that tests conducted on the collapsed structure showed the concrete strength fell significantly below the required standard. “The concrete was expected to achieve 25 newtons per square millimeter, but tests revealed it was only 18,” he said.
Additionally, Uche expressed concerns about mislabeled reinforcement rods sold in Nigerian markets. “A rod labeled Y-16 might actually measure Y-14, and those labeled 12 could turn out to be 10 or less,” he disclosed.
The COREN registrar urged developers to adhere to quality assurance protocols, emphasizing that professional engineers are mandated to test all construction materials before use. However, he noted that many developers bypass these procedures, unloading materials on-site without proper inspection.
To address these systemic issues, Uche called for stronger collaboration between COREN, the Abuja Metropolitan Management Council, and the Standards Organisation of Nigeria. “Together, we can curb engineering failures and restore public confidence in Nigeria’s construction sector,” he said.
Despite facing significant funding challenges—COREN was defunded in 2023 and has yet to secure full financial support for its 2026 operations—the council remains committed to enforcing stricter engineering regulations nationwide.
The Abuja collapse is the latest in a series of tragic building failures in Nigeria, highlighting the urgent need for reform. COREN’s investigation aims not only to hold those responsible accountable but also to prevent similar incidents in the future.
As the probe unfolds, stakeholders await answers, hoping it will lead to tangible improvements in construction standards and professional accountability across the country.
— Reported by Nexio News
